Friday, December 08, 2006

doobie!

Ah yes, the Doobie Brothers- one of my all-time favorite guilty pleasure bands (along with Chicago, Aerosmith, and early Johnny Cougar)


From Wikipedia:


"The Doobie Brothers honed their chops by performing live all over northern California in 1970. They attracted a particularly strong following among local chapters of the Hells Angels, and scored a recurring gig at one of the bikers' favorite venues, the rustic Chateau Liberte in the Santa Cruz mountains. An energetic set of demos (some of which were briefly released on Pickwick Records in 1980 under the title Introducing the Doobie Brothers) showcased fuzz-toned, dual lead electric guitars, three-part harmonies and Hartman's frenetic drumming and earned the band a contract at Warner Brothers Records."


and:


"Simmons' signature tune "Black Water" (from 1974's What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits) became the band's first #1 single. "Black Water," which featured the instantly unforgettable refrain, "I'd like to hear some funky Dixieland, pretty mama come and take me by the hand," eventually propelled the album to multi-platinum status. "


I'll talk Doobies with ya all night, as long as you dont bring up Michael McDonald. Oh how I loathe Michael McDonald! You ruined the Doobie Brothers with your shitty ass soft rock I-wish-I-was-a-soul-singer rubbish! And thoes Motown covers! Goddamn man, have you no respect? Blue-eyed soul my fat ass!


7 comments:

Tanner M. said...

hmmm, makes wanna hear that fuzz toned goodness.

gd said...

i love michael mcdonald. the only good doobie songs are the ones with him on the last 3-4 albums.

the le duo said...

I'd rather hear 'black water' than 'taking it to the streets' any day, but lets just agree to disagree ;)

Anonymous said...

I love me some Doobs!

Did you know that erstwhile Doobie/Steely Dan guitarist Jeff "Skunk" Baxter is a Republican nuclear proliferation think-tanker? No lie. He also has the greatest handlebar moustache this side of Sam Elliott.

Have you ever seen the "making the album" documentary for Steely Dan's Aja? There's a scene where Fagen and the engineer solo Michael McDonald's backing vocals on the song "Peg." I think they call it the "wall of McDonalds" or some shit.

the le duo said...

I haven't seen the Steely Dan documentary- I've just recently been listening to them- I like 'Peg' and 'Guadalajara' and 'Black Friday' etc. I actually didnt know M.M was in Steely Dan until I read the wiki entry for the Doobies- the wall of McDonalds sounds like it should be on the list of banned torture techniques.

David: Hey, Paula.
Paula: Yeah?
David: I gotta tell you something. I'm really excited about it. Uh, for the first time, today, I woke up, I came to the store, and I - I feel confident to say to you that if you don't take this Michael McDonald DVD - that you've been playing for two years straight - off, I'm going to kill everyone in the store and put a bullet in my brain!
Paula: David, what do you suggest we play?
David: I don't care. Anything! I would rather - I would rather watch "Beautician And The Beast". I would rather listen to Fran Drescher for eight hours than have to listen to Michael McDonald. Nothin' against him, but if I hear "Yah Mo B There" one more time, I'm going to Yah Mo Burn This Place To The Ground.
Paula: You're such a smartass. Get back on the floor!
[Paula walks away]
David: [cough-mutters] Ah-fuck you!

Flatlander said...

If you like Michael McDonald, you should check out this post on Analog Giant which includes a 15 minute mix/re-mix of Michael McDonald stuff.

gd said...

ya mo be there!