Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Celine

"Could I, I thought, be the last coward on earth? How terrifying! …All alone with two million stark raving heroic mad-men, armed to the eyeballs? With and without helmets, without horses, on motorcycles, bellowing, in cars, screeching, shooting, plotting, flying, kneeling, digging, taking cover, bounding over trails, root-toot-tooting, shut up on earth as if it were a loony bin, ready to demolish everything on it, Germany, France whole continents, everything that breathes, destroy destroy, madder than mad dogs, worshipping their madness (which dogs don’t) a hundred, a thousand times madder than a thousand dogs, and a lot more vicious! A pretty mess we were in! No doubt about it, this crusade I’d let myself in for was the apocalypse!"

This is a quote from ‘Journey to the End of the Night’ by Louis-Ferdinand Celine. Talkin about WWI- but is it really much different than our current situation? Or maybe all wars are the same? Nobody quite sure why they’re fighting, or who- some not caring why or who- what a mess!

I recommend this book to everyone. It is a darkly comical, cynical look at life in Europe and America during and after WWI. I’m not finished with it yet, but if anyone wants it after me just holler- also, the sequel to ‘Journey to the end of the Night’ is called ‘Death on the Installment Plan’ what a great title!

t.l.d

No comments: